Thursday, November 12, 2009

Andretta potteries

I am back to blogging after a long silence. I have been busy studying aesthetics over the weekends and reading up a whole lot of stuff on Indian philosophers. I took a break with my family in the Kangra valley. My next post would be on that but right now I want to share about this village called Andretta in the kangra valley.

As you approach the village, you spot Sobha Singh art gallery run by his own daughter. Somewhere you also read about Norah Richard's mud house and centre for the arts.
B.C. Sanyal, an artist too had set up a society on a land given by Norah Richards. A smallish lane running opposite to the gallery takes you to a pottery workshop run by Mini Singh, son of famous potter Gurcharan Singh. Walking around the place makes you feel that this isn't an ordinary village and it would have been a pity to miss it on my tour to the valley. Mini Singh himself has an interesting biography which one could read on http://www.andrettapottery.com.
Unfortunately I couldn't meet the man himself but bought some beautiful stuff from his workshop. He seems to be instrumental in starting the Andretta pottery & craft society. They have workshops for aspiring potters. I left feeling envious of all these artist settled here who have the snow caped Himalays in the backyard of their studios and little streams of melting snow running alongside.
Splendid!


No comments: